Health and Vitality Council
The Learning Council is a safe place for all people to come together and learn.
The Health and Vitality Council advocates for and teaches comprehensive sexual health education in alignment with Colorado HB 19 10-32.
Curriculum content includes state and federal standards: adolescent development, identity, communication and consent, self-care, and basic human anatomy and physiology. We can address topics such as healthy relationships with self and other, communication, choice, pregnancy, contraception, sexually transmitted infections (grades 5 and up), decision making, and bullying.
Health and Vitality Council members will work with you to craft lessons appropriate to grade level.
- Join the Delta Health Advisory Committee and support the development of this in any way we can.
- Here to support the mission of your Whole Child planning grant, we have ideas for this beyond Sexual Health education, with that being our primary focus
- Bring a professional Sexual Health educator to the valley to train a group of local adults, whoever is interested. This could include teachers/educators, guidance counselor, parents, and askable adults that interface with kids. We have Sexual Health education training. We could bring a trainer to the county. We could do a weekend training.
- Hold a panel discussion/forum on Sexual Health Education. Ideally, the panel would include a Delta County leader, a Delta County teacher, and a leader in Sexual Health Education.
- Implement Sexual Health Education in all Delta County schools from K through 12, and to have our Valley on the leading edge of Sexual Health Education. This would be a comprehensive curriculum that builds upon itself. We see our role in this as either supporting teachers in teaching or coming in and teaching ourselves if that support is needed.
Resource ListEmpower Yourself With Knowledge
If you want to reach one of us, you can email us at: Alicia@thelearniingcouncil.org. We aim to respond within 48 hrs. You can ask us any questions you need.
You can go to the local Health Department for sexual health advice and guidance, for STI questions, testing and treatment. You can get birth control information, be prescribed birth control methods and pick up condoms. There is also pregnancy testing and options for the future should you become pregnant.
Please note: the links below, over time, may change or become non-existent.
Closest Local Resources
- Delta County Health Department, 255 W 6th St, Delta, CO, 81416, 970-874-2165 – https://www.deltacounty.com/8/Personal-Health-Services
- A Kidz Clinic, 360 E 8th St Delta, CO 81416, 970-874-2753
- Glenwood Springs Planned Parenthood, 50923 Hwy 6, Glenwood Springs, CO, 81601, 970-945-8631
- Grand Junction: Mesa County Health Department, 510 29½ Rd, Grand Junction, CO, 81504, 970-248-6900
- Delta County Memorial Hospital, 970-874-2255
- Childbirth preparation class – Contact Alicia@thelearniingcouncil.org.
- Breastfeeding support group – Contact Alicia@thelearniingcouncil.org.
- Hilltop Resources Delta hotline safe house advocates, 540 South 1st Street, Montrose, CO 81401, 970-252-7445
- Grand Junction Queer and Ally Connection – https://www.facebook.com/GrandJunctionQueerandAllyConnection/
- MOGII (Marginalized Orientations Gender Intersex Identity) – https://www.facebook.com/WesternSlopeMOGII
- Transcend Western Slope – http://www.transcendwesternslope.com
- Western Slope LGBTQ To Do happenings – https://www.facebook.com/groups/454728654543437
- Identity Insights – https://www.identityinsightsgroup.com/
- Montrose Health and Human Services, 1845 S Townsend Ave Montrose, CO 81401, 970-252-5000
- Renee@deltacountysuicideprevention.org – local councilor
Awesome Online Resources
- Go Ask Alice! – Columbia University – https://goaskalice.columbia.edu/
- Sex, Etc. – https://sexetc.org/
- Advocates for Youth
- Planned Parenthood – 50923 HWY 6&24 Glenwood Springs, CO, 970-945-8631 – https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control
- What is Sex Education? – https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/for-educators/what-sex-education
- Human Rights Campaign – https://www.hrc.org
- Trevor Project – https://www.thetrevorproject.org
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays – https://pflag.org/
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network – https://www.glsen.org/
- GLBT National Help Center – http://www.glnh.org/
- Gender vs Sex: https://kinseyinstitute.org/research/faq.php
- LGBT Best Practices – https://www.learningforjustice.org/sites/default/files/general/LGBT%20Best%20Practices_0.pdf
- Trans Student Educational Resources – https://transstudent.org/
- It’s Your (Sex) Life – http://www.itsyoursexlife.com/
- Bedsider Birth Control Support Network – https://www.bedsider.org/
- Scarleteen – https://www.scarleteen.com/
- Center for Young Women’s Health – https://youngwomenshealth.org/
- Sex Ed, Honestly – https://answer.rutgers.edu/
- One Colorado – https://one-colorado.org
- American Adolescents’ Sources of Sexual Health Information – https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/facts-american-teens-sources-information-about-sex
- CDC info on STDs – https://www.cdc.gov/std/default.htm
- SIECUS: Sex Ed for Social Change – https://siecus.org/
- I Sat In on My Son’s Sex-Ed Class, and I Was Shocked by What I Heard – https://www.thestranger.com/features/feature/2015/04/15/22062331/i-sat-in-on-my-sons-sex-ed-class-and-i-was-shocked-by-what-i-heard
- 8 Reasons Parents Should Demand Better Sex-Ed in Schools – https://www.yahoo.com/news/8-reasons-parents-should-demand-better-sex-ed-in-133607682.html
- Sexplanations YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/user/sexplanations
- Sex-Ed + – https://positivesexed.org/en/home/
- Sex Positive Families – https://sexpositivefamilies.com/
- A Community for LGBTQ+ Teens – https://www.qchatspace.org/
- AMAZE – https://amaze.org/
- Three Decades of Research: The Case for Comprehensive Sex Education – Journal of Adolescent Health – https://www.jahonline.org/article/S1054-139X(20)30456-0/fulltext
- Down There: Sexual and Reproductive Health, The Wise Woman Way by Susun S. Weed – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12376229-down-there
- The Sexual Herbal by Brigitte Mars – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6833731-the-sexual-herbal
- Women’s Bodies Women’s Wisdom by Christiane Northrup – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/131830.Women_s_Bodies_Women_s_Wisdom
- Sacred Mirrors the Visionary Art of Alex Grey by Alex Grey, Ken Wilber, Carlo McCormick – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/297908.Sacred_Mirrors
- Vagina: A New Biography by Naomi Wolf – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13426037-vagina
- Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera – https://gabbyrivera.com/juliet-takes-a-breath/
- On Being Different: What It Means to Be a Homosexual by Merle Miller – https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/13542729-on-being-different
- The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals by Stephanie A. Brill, Rachel Pepper – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2802543-the-transgender-child
- Gender Born, Gender Made: Raising Healthy Gender-Nonconforming Children by Diane Ehrensaft – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13261617-gender-born-gender-made
- He’s My Daughter: A Mother’s Journey to Acceptance by Lynda Langley – https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/7812742-he-s-my-daughter
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, Mathilde Tamae-Bouhon – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19547856-simon-vs-the-homo-sapiens-agenda
- Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32951.Sister_Outsider